Countries in lock-down, schools and universities closed, shops not open, only supermarkets offering their goods, borders closed. Welcome to 2020. Who would have thought that a few months ago. A virus spreading from China, probably originating from the USA, laming economies, transport sectors, tourism, and asking for special measures from companies…so there I am, working from home.
Communication is done via Teams and e-mail, weekly Skype meetings with team member and manager should keep me up to date and busy. Still, missing your colleagues face-to-face is a weird feeling. Social contact is different..forget about office jokes or be glad you don’t have to listen to them..your choice.
Problematic is that I went down from three monitors to one tiny laptop screen. The company is willing to send one to my address, but the table i work on is too small to hold it. So, i just make do. Also have to et around that I now live in my office..so working hours are a bit fluid.
If you might get bored at home, here are a few tips.
- Join the Slack community on https://www.writethedocs.org. Chat, share tips, look out for remote meetups.
- Just type ‘technical writer blog’ in your search engine and have fun. There are more than you would imagine. Quite a few have stopped, others just keep going.
- Always wanted to get some API writing knowledge? Check out Tom Johnson his blog. He offers a free API course.
- Listen to blogs on technical writing. You tube offers some basic stuff. The ones i like are done by Cherryleaf.
- For everything new under the sun about European machine related writing, visit Ferry Vermeulen his blogs.
Feel free to share your home work experiences.